Thursday 12 August 2010

Critical Faculties

It is mean and horrible as a comic to revel in the bad reviews that others get. And if your show got one star and it said it was under-rehearsed, badly written or poorly delivered I feel for you. We've all been told these things at one time or another and I would urge you to take it as an opportunity to rehearse more, write better and work on your delivery (Maybe take the brilliant stand-up comedy course at City Academy...). And anyway just because one reviewer doesn't like it doesn't mean there aren't people out there who will love it - play to them and enjoy it.

However.

Yes however.

I often feel that there is a lot of comedy out there that is not only unfunny but actually offensive. Not clever-offensive, trying to shock in order to make important valid points or even just a bit crude and rude and childish but just dull out of date stereotyping and general awfulness. Sexism, racism, homophobia, ableism, etc. And it always annoys me when the critics don't pick up on it. So ten out of ten (five stars) to Julia Chamberlain at Chortle and Ian Mitchell at Scotsgay for these two well deserved drubbings (linked to their names). Maybe the future's brighter than we thought...?

On a side note a woman at my show today came up afterwards and thanked me not only for the show but for my protest at Sebastian Horsley's funeral (see my main blog if you don't know the full story). That was cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment